Thursday, June 9, 2011

Creativity

I had fun helping my kids' school for Art Day today. Lots of projects happening all day, with grades and classes mixed up. I love it.

I was with the Lego builders (did they see the Legos busting out of my house? Or do I have some stuck in my hair?). We dumped tubs of Legos out for the kids and said, "Get busy!"

Well the good news for our world is that most kids said, "Yee-Haw!" and dove in. Out of three sessions, just one little girl sat quietly, not touching a brick. I asked her what kinds of things she liked (trying to get an idea for building) and she said, "I just watch T.V. at home." BAM - I knew I had a tough one. "OK," I said, "what's your favorite show?" "I watch whatever is on." Double BAM! So I hunted out the object pieces (trees, doors, windows, a horse) and threw out ideas about building a farm, or a house for the horse. With no love for the task, she picked up the horse and sighed. I knew my BAM limit was full, so I went to ask the wild alien and fighting ship builders if they needed help. But here's the cool thing. Five minutes later she was rummaging through the pile, hunting out special bricks with all the other kids. She ended up building a funky little house-thing, but she built it!

Let creativity live, and even the most tuned out will hop on - and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment