Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Revise, rewrite, press forward, or trunk

I started this blog as a peppy way to involve kids in my new novel, but I've hit a bump. But I decided, bumps are important, especially for kids to see. Before I started writing, I knew good writing and bad writing - and nothing in between. I didn't think it took someone two years to write a novel because they were ripping it apart each time, just slowly working toward the end. Now I understand more, and I think it is good for kids to hear that a novel is hard work - and if they want to write one, stick with it and work hard (it will get better and better!).

This weekend I went to a library talk by a wonderful agent. She reviewed the business of publishing and gave fantastic tips and resources to wannabes (like me!!). Then, she entered full sainthood and offered to spent a half hour with anyone who wished to read some of their novel to her. She promised instant feedback and advice. Wow.

The bad news for me is that she did not like my book. She wanted more of a main character to hang onto, less other characters, and less frenzy. That's big stuff - especially after I have been editing, rewriting, editing (repeat) for at least six months. I said "thank you so much" and went home to pout and search for a health care job.

But, time heals all wounds. Two days later I am able to hear her advice and try to make a rational decision about what to do with my manuscript (that I love!). I have subscribed to more blogs than one hobby writer can handle. Many of them have interviews with published (or soon to be) authors. Some talk about "trunking" (putting away) their first manuscript, and others talk about never giving up on a novel. I start to wonder, what should I do?

First, I need to get some distance between me and this novel - that is clear. But second, I decided that I need to think about her advice and if it makes sense to me. "Making sense" to me happens when 1) I admit I had the same concern, 2) I have heard the same concern from others, and 3) I liked what she was saying. For me, #1 was my tipping point this time. I had sketched out each of my characters and there were a few (most embarrassingly the main character) who had no face. I didn't know what he looked like. Sure I know his hair is blond and eyes are green, but does he smirk, does he worry - what's his deal. The faceless character needs help. I thought I had made it exciting enough that he would just carry through, but I agree with this agent, and must beef him up.

Now I need to decide on the rewrite or trunk. That's where the distance comes in. It's a great story, lots of fun and interesting. But it can be better. After I take a break, we'll see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment